Tuition Tax Rebate Information

Who is Eligible to Claim the Subtraction?

Per the Wisconsin Department of Revenue, the subtraction may be claimed by a full-year resident, part-year resident, or nonresident of Wisconsin. You must have paid tuition during the taxable year for your child to attend an eligible institution. The child must have been claimed as a dependent on your Wisconsin income tax return, and the child must have been an “elementary pupil” or “secondary pupil” during the taxable year.

May I count all that I have paid for my children’s tuition at St. Charles Parish School?

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue has defined an “Elementary Pupil” as an individual that is enrolled in 5 year old kindergarten through 8th grade at an eligible institution. This means that tuition that has been paid for children that are enrolled in the 3-year old and 4-year old pre-school program at St. Charles Parish School cannot be applied for this tax deduction.

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue also requires an education program provide at least 875 hours of instruction each school year. All grade levels at St. Charles meet this requirement. 

An elementary pupil (grades full day 5K-8) can deduct paid tuition during the taxable year but not more than $4,000 per pupil.

Out of my registration, fees, and tuition, what can and cannot be deducted?

For monies paid to St. Charles Parish School, you may deduct your tuition. You may not include activity fees, athletic fees, band fees, personal use items (headphones), or general supplies.

To find how much you paid in tuition throughout the 2022-2023 school year, you are able to access a report on your TADS account. If you are trying to find out how much you have paid in tuition for the 2023-2024 school year so far, please log into your FACTS account.

The Department of Revenue's 2023 form is available here.

We will be more than happy to try to answer any questions related to the Private School Tuition state tax deduction, but due to the nature of tax laws, we would encourage you to seek out professional tax services to help you correctly navigate this new deduction.